Travel Tips for Your Body
The keys to taking care of your body while traveling are hydration, warding off insomnia, and body comfort. Biochemical processes don’t move as fast as cars and airplanes, so the body needs support in catching up. Here are some ways to practice self-care as you go:
1. Help reset your sleep cycle with exposure to natural sun for at least 20 min. Using a natural sleep aid such as melatonin or CBD oil can also help.
2. Balance the hips and release the neck and shoulders because those can get compacted during travel.
3. Stay more hydrated than usual. Coconut water and bottled spring water are especially good.
4. Diet-wise, eat bananas and maybe some nuts. Avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, dairy, and caffeine.
5. Take an epsom salt bath with a little lavender or something in it that rejuvenates to help with travel weariness.
6. Practice gentle forward fold pose: put your sitting bones against a wall, with your feet 12-18 inches from the wall and fold forward along your thighs. Relax into the pose and breathe into your back.
7. Take a twist: Doing gentle twists can release back tension and help relieve nausea and constipation.
8. Allow yourself a couple of days after your travel to recalibrate and settle back in.
9. Tell your stories to someone who can really listen. Trips can rearrange us a little, and we often return a little different from who we are when we left. Connecting with our people when we return can relieve emotional tension that otherwise could be held in the body.